You probably don’t know this about me, but I hate Mondays. I mean, I have a deep down loathing for them. When I get home from a long day of teaching at Crazy Town, I need something comforting. Tonight I made my famous nachos and they helped me to forget that we start standardized testing tomorrow. Gasp! They’re super quick and easy, but let me break it down for you…
- 1 lb ground beef (we usually get the extra lean from Sprouts)
- half an onion–chopped
- handful of cilantro
- 1 garlic clove–minced (now we’re getting fancy!)
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- tortilla chips (I like On The Border brand)
- cheese (I used cheddar and mozzarella)
- cayenne pepper, salt/pepper, Italian seasoning blend–add whatever seasonings you like (taco season packets work well too, but I don’t like the salt)
Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes–just to soften them up a bit and get your kitchen smelling gooood. Then, add the beef and any seasonings you like (we like it hot around here!). Saute until the meat is brown.
As they cook, cut up your cilantro, olives, and whatever else you might want to put atop your nachos. Green chiles would have been good, but we didn’t have any. Then, pre-heat your oven to 350.
This next step is very important, my friends. Lay your chips out onto a cookie sheet. Lay them out flat so that each and every chip gets some of the glorious toppings.
Next, strain off the meat and put it on the chips. Then add the rest of your ingredients, including the cheese.
Pop them into the oven and bake them for about 7 minutes. The cheese should be melted and you should hear a nice little sizzle from the chips. Serve with a little sour cream, salsa, and Tapatio. My husband fell in love with me all over again tonight 🙂
I hope these nachos make your Monday night a little better. xoxox ~Marisa